Location: St Albans
As a Front-End Developer, you’re a seasoned technologist with strong teamwork skills who can work with everyone across the business to deliver outstanding solutions for our clients.
You will have excellent experience in delivering web solutions and experiences using the latest frameworks and technologies, preferably to external clients, providing a consultative approach. Within the technical team, you will work closely with Creative, Development and Quality Assurance.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Product Delivery
- Work closely with the creative team to bring new ideas into UX and design as well as to guide designs to ensure they are achievable within the solution framework and budgets.
Generate consistent patterns, reusable components, coding standards etc
Work with design team to influence Front-End design requirements to build best-in-class experiences.
Be able to explain your code and document using jsdoc and sassdoc.
Write unit and integration tests and support with acceptance testing across multiple browsers, operating systems and devices.
- Evolve Front-End technology in line with business need and the changes in technology landscape. Assist in defining software architectures – collaborate with leads to explore existing systems, determine areas of complexity, potential risks to successful implementation, and learning the applications capabilities.
- Maintain a high awareness of industry issues and trends, particularly with regard to accessibility, usability, performance and emerging technologies, and keep team members informed as appropriate, with a view to incorporating these in future projects and staying ahead of the market.
- Service Delivery
- Work with other department heads and technical experts to create elegant and inspiring client solutions
Work with the sales teams to provide realistic and complete estimates for the interface implementation.
Assist in the preparation and delivery of sales presentations and pitches.
Required skills and experience
- Comfortable and adaptable within a fast-paced agency environment.
- Excellent understanding of HTML semantics along with ARIA, SVG and experience with templating languages e.g. Nunjucks, Razor, Handlebars, HAML etc
- Know CSS3 and have experience in pre-processors such as SASS or LESS.
- Be able to competently use web developer tools e.g. debugging, analyse network traffic, follow DOM trees etc
- Have knowledge of modern front-end development workflows using pre-processors for development and building e.g. Gulp, Grunt, Webpack, Briefcase etc.
- Have worked with file versioning software such as git, svn, etc.
- Write unit and integration tests for your code e.g. Mocha, Puppeteer, Chai etc.
- Proficient understanding of cross-browser compatibility issues and ways to work around them including both desktop and mobile devices.
- Keep yourself up to date on new web technologies such as PWA, Web Components and Web Assembly.
- Solid understanding of Responsive design, Mobile web development, performance optimisation and Web Accessibility.
- Knowledge of the Creative and UX processes, thus able to work closely with Designers.
- Have working knowledge of design software e.g. Creative Cloud, Figma, Invision, Sketch etc.
- Understand the rationale behind the solution and design approach and able to make good, consistent, UX decisions without needing every piece of Front-End defined. Ability to then translate these designs into functional user interfaces meeting relevant standards.
- Ability to communicate with clients and team members to convey project progress and clarify requirements.
- Dedication to quality-oriented practices like code reviews, pair programming and refactoring.
- Able to meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to challenge the norm and maturity to advocate for changes for the greater benefit of the business.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience with developing for cms systems.